Monday 23 March 2015

I can see clearly now.....


Many, many years ago, when I first moved to London and was at college, I spent many, many hours hanging out in Covent Garden.....a new and sparkling emporium of shops and eateries the like of which I'd never seen before ..... and where I discovered my first pair of Rayban Wayfarers.

These were the sunglasses of Hollywood movie stars, big and black and quite the most glamorous thing I'd ever tried on and I wanted them. I went back week after week trying them on and trying to justify spending such an enormous amount of money on sunglasses....£27. Back then it was probably a weeks rent. But I really did want them. So I threw caution to the wind ..... and my grant at the problem....and bought them. And dear reader I wore those sunglasses until I was 32 when they finally got nicked in Mexico...... but that's a whole other story. 
 I loved those sunglasses and recently have felt a desperate need to replace them. So, while in New York I popped into Century 21, the downtown discount department store .....or bargain central....and to my joy found the perfect pair. So I threw caution to the wind ..... and my credit card at the problem....and bought them. Clearly, I don't actually need another pair of sunglasses but I really did want them. Or did I really just want to recapture my youth?

Top tip: sometimes a little of what you fancy does you good....


12 comments:

  1. I once found a pair of Raybans in a Rayban case and with the original lens cloth in it. The loser must have felt pretty sick - unless they were knock-offs of course - but I had no idea whose they were or how to return them as there was no police station in the little town where I found them.

    They weren't Warefarers, which tend to sit on my cheeks and ride up when I smile, but a model that suited me better, and fitted me perfectly.

    I wore them avidly for several years, until one day I also lost them.

    I wonder who's lovin' them now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, that's just a tip top ode to the Wayfarers. They do add a substantial percentage of sex appeal to anyone who wears them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you! An investment of joy for many years to come.
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are ageless, timeless. They are worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. £27? Those were the days! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a pair for my wife, the turtleshell ones, in the USA about 20 years back. In those days I travelled far too much on business, back and forth regularly and as part of a pointless guilt trip often brought her and the kids back gifts. One time it was the Wayfarers. They lasted up until last summer when they'd been inherited a few years ago by my teenage daughter. After much use the hinge broke some point last summer and I think they headed for the bin.
    Maybe I should track down a replacement pair for her some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing wrong with a little indulgence now and again …. my trouble is that I indulge more now than again !!!!!!!!!! haha XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you, they are fantastic! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool eyewear is a great lift to the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listen to what speaks to you! Glad you found your 'trademark'


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  11. great collection of eyewears :)..I have some, too ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great collection alright. I have four pairs of Tom Fords and have to stop myself buying more.

    ReplyDelete